After allot of people asking the questions about Windows XP and the end of Microsofts support for it we are putting the basic answers below:
- Windows XP will still work, it will not stop running and it will not delete your files..
- Your Windows XP computer is now at a higher risk of Viruses, Malware and other nasty issues with using the internet.
- New software / hardware may not support Windows XP, so you will always be stuck with the current software / Hardware (i.e. printer, scanner, Digital Camera, Mobile Phone) as the new ones may not be supported on your computer.
- Your computer may now get even slower and more unstable as time passes.
Its these issues that Microsoft were trying to protect Windows XP users from with each and every update.
So what should you do?
Here are your options:
- Remove your computer from the Internet and have it as a stand alone unit.
This can be a good idea for a system that is only used for photos or the odd letter, but in the long run it does mean that the computer is now just a glorified typewriter and photo album. So no e-mail, or web browsing can be done on this machine once it is removed from the internet.
- Have your current computer checked to see if it can be updated to run Windows 7.
This can be the cheapest option but will still set you back in the region of £130 if no hardware needs changing. All your Data can be transferred over from your old version of Windows, but only programs that you have the serial numbers for (and are supported on the newer Windows) can be transferred.
- Purchase a new computer with Windows 7, or 8.1 on it.
This will be the best long term option, as it will provide you with a faster computer and since its new hardware should last you a good length of time. All your Data can be transferred over from your old computer, but only programs that you have the serial numbers for (and are supported on the newer Windows) can be transferred. New computers from ourselves start at £299, this includes the data transfer and fantastic after sales service.
For Companies that still use Windows XP only applications, as long as you upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, then you can always run a virtual XP system that is always going to remain safe away from the internet. Download that Virtual Machine..
Please do not hesitate to phone or come and see us for a longer discussion about anything you may need to know about Windows XP or the upgrade to the current systems.
Always here to help.